The Assisted Dying Debate - Brighton, Sunday 4.40pm
Our Brighton Conference resolution on Medically Assisted Dying has attracted strong resistance in the form of a wrecking amendment.
Amendment One, which will be voted on during Sunday's debate starting at 4.40pm, would:
- Scrap existing party policy, which supports legislation allowing medical assistance for patients who wish to die, in limited circumstances and with rigorous safeguards;
- Treat Medically Assisted Dying as "conscience issue, on which the party takes no position";
- Call for a Royal Commission to examine the implications of changes to the current legal framework.
If you believe that the party should take a stand on moral issues such as same-sex marriage and the right to die, and you're an elected conference rep, please come to the debate and vote for the Resolution and against Amendment One.
You can find
* the Resolution in the Conference Agenda, page 29 - http://www.libdems.org.uk/siteFiles/resources/docs/conference/2012-Autumn/Aut12%20Agenda%20book.pdf .
* the amendment in Conference Extra, page 16 - http://www.libdems.org.uk/siteFiles/resources/docs/conference/2012-Autumn/Aut12%20Conference%20Extra.pdf .
....and how about taking our schedule of six key Conference Events To Watch Out For with you.